Thursday, September 27, 2012

Skittles


Skittles

This is the personal narrative about the time I broke my leg and how if I got Skittles nothing would have happened.

Many miles away from my hometown, in a camp named Marengo, I was in a field in the middle of the forest which people called a “soccer field.  All they did was put two simple soccer nets there. The only reason they were there is because there was a soccer tournament going on. A bunch of kids, all ages, waiting in utter excitement to win something. The camp staff says its only about having fun, but they don’t care. Everyone just wanted to best the other team.

The first teams lined up for the face-off. The first match-up was all girls. Of course most guys didn’t pay attention to that game, because women’s soccer is soooo intense.  All kids on the bleachers just conversated as the first game went on and on. I don’t think I even know who won.

The next match was my team and some other girls team. I got stuck as goalie. There wasn’t much scoring so I got insanely bored. I started doing cartwheels and danced.  Eventually my team won. Big surprise.
After the second game, I started to get really bored. Nothing was happening and soccer was losing its fun.  Spoiler alert. After basically sitting by the goal for hours on end twiddling  my thumbs,  my team once again was victorious. We had just once the final game and took the whole tournament, but nobody was celebrating.  People were just relieved that the exhausting tournament was over. The sun was still beating down on me as sweat trickled my face.

All of a sudden, a staff member raised up his megaphone and announced “ It’s time for the Staff vs. Champions game!!!”.

Suddenly I felt a craving for Skittles, but I also really wanted to play just for the satisfaction of beating every single. While I sat there thinking about what I should do, the megaphone made the decision for me.

“Last call! Eat or play!” he declared as some players jogged onto the field or slowly meandered their way to the snack bar.

I guess I would  just go and play. Who knows what would happen in this game? Would I get stuck like glue as goalie again, spending my time just cart wheeling and dancing? Would we finally lose? Would something horrible happen? I found out within a matter of minutes.

As the tall and lanky staff player jogged across the field, no defenders standing in between him and victory besides me. Pressure was on me as he approached. He no less than 10 feet away now. All of a sudden he was there! I thought as quick as I could as he tried to get around me and slid and shout my left leg out in an effort to trip him.

He tumbled to the ground and landed hard on my outstretched leg and you heard was a snap. I heard gasps from the bleachers. Everything went black for a split second, and then pain rushed into my leg. It was like someone had started up a flamethrower in my leg then chopped it up like sushi. Strangely at that exact moment I was thinking about Skittles.

I should’ve got some delicious, juicy , fruity-flavored Skittles. Instead I’m here laying in the back of an ambulance with a broken leg. This is why I hate decisions…


No comments:

Post a Comment